Friday, June 8, 2007

Food and memories

So I was gonna make potato pancakes for dinner tonight before I realized that I was out of onions. Walked to the little shop up the road from me, but they were out too. So bought a soda and thought of what else I could make. Realized that I had all the items needed to make one of my favorite childhood dishes, potatoes and dumplings. It was something that my maternal grandmother used to make, and occasionally my mother after Grandma Chris died. It is a simple dish requiring only potatoes, flour, eggs, and water. It is usually eaten with butter and sour cream. Not a light dish, but very tasty. :)

It is one of the few things that I know how to cook without having a written recipe for. When I was in college I had mentioned missing the dish and my mom gave me the recipe to follow. That was the first time I'd ever made it, but the recipe is so easy that I memorized it. The dumplings are two parts flour for every one part water and egg. Mix dough into a nice tacky substance. When the potatoes are almost done boiling, drop dumplings into the water with a teaspoon. Once the dumplings rise to the top, let them cook five minutes more and then pour the hot water off. Serve with small amount of melted butter and sour cream. Like I said easy.

I don't remember the last time I made this dish, but I know it was over four years ago. Thankfully my sieve like memory managed to retain this. It turned out quite well, and I enjoyed it along with slightly sweeten ice tea. The whole dinner was a reminder of happier times growing up. It was a comfort dinner, and after a week of not feeling quite right (sinus issues again, along with that wonderful monthly visitor all women know so well) one that I hadn't realized I needed. It is amazing how our memory connects with our senses.

No comments: