Monday, March 26, 2007

World TB Day

Well Saturday was World Tuberculosis Day. Since it fell on a weekend, the health department I volunteer at decided to hold the event today. Myself and several of my co-workers went out into different clinics and hospitals to present on TB. We also made nice little poster board presentations to leave at the various places for the week.

I gave 4 talks on the subject at the local hospital. It was slightly chaotic since we gave the talks in the outpatient clinic areas (there was a lot of noise and movement). But most people seemed interested (and remarkably were able to hear and understand me). We even got a few questions. I thought my voice was gonna go toward the end since it felt like I'd been shouting. Other than that it was definitely a good morning.

This afternoon I spent making a PowerPoint slide show on a government assistance program they have here. My PC supervisor asked if I could do a presentation at an upcoming conference. This way other volunteers can learn some more about the program and maybe point it out to those in their communities who would benefit.

Came home washed a couple of items of clothing, but couldn't hang them on the line because of our daily afternoon rains. So the shirts I need for the conference are hanging on my shower curtain rod with my fan blowing at them. Hopefully I'll get the rest of my laundry done early enough this weekend that it will be dry by the time the afternoon rains hit. Ah the joys of doing laundry the old fashioned way.

2 comments:

your friend the nurse said...

I did not know Saturday was World TB Day. Ironic since most of why I am sick right now is prophylactic treatment for TB exposure. I suspect the disease is nastier than the treatment, but it's so hard to see that right now. I am not feeling so poor me- and by the way, thank you for your support, but I can't imagine how people have or do, deal with fulminating TB infections. Thanks for your good work.

Amanda said...

Until week before last I didn't know it was World TB day either. Yeah, the disease is probably nastier than the treatment, but that doesn't mean the treatment is all fun and games either, especially when the treatment creates symptoms similar to the disease itself. When that sick (even if it's caused by prophylaxis rather than the illness itself) you are entitled to complain about how crappy you feel. So allow yourself some of that too.

Also thank you for your support as well. It's nice to be able to communicate again. Some days are harder than others (fighting things like depression and homesickness), and it's nice to have support (both back home and here). Thanks and take care. Later. :)